Typically the kitchen is a top priority during a home renovation. From quick breakfasts in the morning to formal dinners on special occasions, the kitchen plays a significant role in the day-to-day. That said, it’s essential to keep it appealing, accessible and functional.
If you’re crafting a kitchen layout for your kitchen remodel, here are some do’s and don’ts you should keep in mind.
- Consider your countertops. Think of how you normally prepare food and what your workflow requires. Use this information to help you choose a countertop material and design. If you’re someone who cooks a lot or more than one person cooks in your family, you’ll need a lot of counter space to accommodate your needs. If you have kids at home and they like joining you to work in the kitchen, a countertop suitable for their height would make it easier and safer for them to perform tasks.
- Determine the island’s function. Form follows function. So before deciding on a kitchen island design, consider how you will be using the island. For instance, if you plan on having the stove and dining area on that island, make sure there is adequate distance between the cooktop and the dining area. If you want to maximize your kitchen island, the island can also be designed to hold other items, such as a sink or dishwasher.
- Reduce traffic. Remember that there are plenty of ways to maximize your kitchen space. To control the chaos and manage foot traffic, you can install an island to separate the cooking area from the walkway. Make sure the refrigerator or oven door won’t block traffic when they are open.
- Ignore the work triangle. This kitchen layout is crucial to achieving a good workflow. Basically, it ensures that the cooktop, refrigerator and sink are a short distance from each other. This makes it easier to move from one zone to another.
- Forget to install adequate lighting. Whether it’s for a bathroom or kitchen renovation, you shouldn’t forget proper lighting design. Above the kitchen island, you can install pendant lights that serve as task lighting. Then, for better visibility, consider using under-cabinet and recessed lighting. Remember that overhead lighting can be bright and cause undesirable shadows, so task lighting is preferable for work areas.
- Purchase incorrect appliance and cabinet sizes. Measure the area carefully and select the appliances and cabinets ahead of time. Do not purchase these things without making sure they fit in your kitchen. Do not place them in corners so that they won’t bang against each other when their doors are opened.
Home renovations are an exciting event that can transform your old and outdated home into a space you and your family will love for years to come. Without needing to relocate, you can have the home of your dreams and do it all within your budget. But how can you create your ideal home and stay in your budget?
At Home Mobility Pros, we work closely with you to create customized spaces that are tailored to your specific needs and desires. Providing the fastest quotes possible, we work efficiently so you can get started with your home renovation project as soon as possible. Working in real-time, we adjust home remodeling designs to fit your specific needs and order materials from the most respected suppliers in the nation for sustainable and quality home renovations that leave your home looking great for years to come.