Wheelchair ramps are a common modification made to homes of people with disabilities. These ramps are used to allow people with physical handicaps to more easily move around their home safely, and are a very cost-effective solution for making this possible.
Here’s a quick overview of some of the benefits of wheelchair ramps to give you an idea as to how they can be of assistance to people with physical handicaps:
- Easy installation: Wheelchair ramps are a much easier installation option than other types of mobility features. You can purchase portable ramps that are easy to carry and set up, and also easy to take down and store away if not needed or as mobility needs change.
- Greater accessibility: This is, of course, the primary benefit associated with wheelchair ramps—their use allows for much greater accessibility and mobility for elderly and disabled people. Wheelchair ramps make it easier for users to get up small flights of steps, over doorways, past raised landings, into showers and through sliding glass doors, all while minimizing the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Variety of materials: Wheelchair ramps don’t have to be ugly, out-of-place eyesores when installed in your home. Because they come in a wide range of materials, you can easily select an option that complements the interior design of your home so it doesn’t feel out of place. Wheelchair ramps come in aluminum, steel, rubber, natural or pressure-treated wood and other materials. For example, you could select a wooden model that will work in conjunction with outdoor decks or with existing hardwood steps in your home.
- Durability: The materials used to create wheelchair ramps aren’t just meant to flow with your home’s design—they also are highly robust and durable. Even heavy scooters and wheelchairs can use these ramps to enter and exit the building without any fears of damaging the ramps.
- Highly convenient: The convenience of wheelchair ramps isn’t just beneficial for the people sitting in the wheelchair—it’s also a great feature for caregivers and loved ones assisting with mobility. There are even circumstances in which the ramps might be used for tasks other than wheelchair moving, including transporting equipment, furniture and other items around the home, saving time and effort and making it easier to maneuver around.
- Improved resale value: Certain types of high-quality ramps can make your home more appealing to particular buyers, especially buyers that have family members with mobility limitations. Because the home buyer wouldn’t have to install these upgrades themselves, they’d be willing to pay slightly higher prices for the home. Be sure to talk with a mobility specialist about the kinds of upgrades that would provide you with the best ROI for resale.
Home renovations are an exciting event that can transform your old and outdated home into a space you and your family will love for years to come. Without needing to relocate, you can have the home of your dreams and do it all within your budget. But how can you create your ideal home and stay in your budget?
At Home Mobility Pros, we work closely with you to create customized spaces that are tailored to your specific needs and desires. Providing the fastest quotes possible, we work efficiently so you can get started with your home renovation project as soon as possible. Working in real-time, we adjust home remodeling designs to fit your specific needs and order materials from the most respected suppliers in the nation for sustainable and quality home renovations that leave your home looking great for years to come.